Exploring Egg-Free Breakfasts in Columbus (Guest Blogpost)

Pattycake Bakery's Sticky Buns are but one of many
delicious egg-free options available for the diner

(Note: This is a guest blog post from my favorite dining partner in the whole world Kris - you can catch what she posts on her Instagram account @aimless_rambling)

During the summer of 2020, I discovered that I was allergic to eggs.  I had experienced symptoms of itching and occasional hives for at least 6-7 years but only in June did I make a connection to eggs (versus other suspected culprits such as soaps/shampoos).  Testing confirmed the egg allergy and a few others which were also a surprise.  My allergist was surprised as well, since egg allergy is rare in adults and even then usually develops in childhood. 

To my knowledge, I had no food allergies in childhood though there is a family history in both children and adults now confirmed in five generations.  I am fortunate that my symptoms are mild and mostly annoying rather than dangerous.  I’ve had no anaphylaxis symptoms though I do now carry an Epi-Pen. 

What it has done is made eating out a bit more tricky, especially since we have always enjoyed going out for breakfast and brunch.  Do you know how hard it is to find breakfast and brunch options that don’t include egg?  Even pastries that do not include egg in the dough or filling are often coated with an egg wash to make them nice and shiny.  And many of the egg-free options are things like granola.  Guess what else I’m allergic to?  Almonds, oats, and strawberries (and I suspect a few other things that weren’t on the test).

I thought about challenging our fellow blogger Nick Dekker of Breakfast With Nick to come up with a list of Columbus area options of egg-free breakfasts, but decided to explore the subject myself.  My goal was to find breakfast/brunch items that did not require me to ask for “no egg” (though when I’m in the mood to do that, the corned beef hash from Delaney’s Diner is the best in town IMO).  In no particular order, here are 10 to try if you are looking for egg-free options yourself

1) Pattycake Bakery Sticky Buns - Vegan bakeries are a great way to ensure egg-free, though I could potentially react to almond and oat milk which are common dairy substitutions.  So far, though, I have not noticed an issue, and these sweet buns are delicious.  They also do not dry out as quickly as standard ones as we noticed when we had day-old ones.


2) The Woodbury Shrimp and Grits Tostada - I love shrimp and grits and enjoy making it myself.  I found this option when I searched for area restaurants that had it on their menu, and the tostada was a fun take on the standard.  The tortillas were crisp, the cheese grits satisfying and the shrimp had a nice char.  The Buffalo style sauce was fine but I would have preferred a more complex sauce.


3) Dough Mama Avocado Smoked Salmon Toast - Avocado toast is a good option at a number of places when I want a lighter option.  However, the addition of smoked salmon elevates this one to my favorite in town.


4)
Cuco’s Taqueria Molletes - We first had these when we joined the inaugural Columbus Food Adventures breakfast tour a few years back, led by Nick Dekker himself.  These open faced sandwiches with chorizo, beans and cheese with a side of potatoes are quite filling and very delicious.


5)  
Columba’s Food Truck Tamales - the only one on this list that I haven’t actually had this year, mainly because we made only rare visits to the Worthington Farmers Market (we joined the New Century CSA this year to get our summer veggies).  However, in prior years we often enjoyed a tamale or two as part of our Saturday morning wanderings through the market when we wanted a light and savory breakfast vs one of the many sweet options to be found there.  I can’t pick a favorite of the flavors, as they are all delicious.  


6)
The Lox Bagel Shop Lox Sandwich - I love a good bagel and lox, and this sandwich does not disappoint.  I usually get it on an everything bagel but the sea salt and herb is equally as good.  For those who also need to be dairy-free, I can also confirm that the Woodhouse vegan cream cheese is a delicious option on any bagel.


7)
Cafe Elena Cozy Vegan Skillet - This is a great way to start your day with a lot of vegetables, some black beans for protein, and a savory sauce.  If you think a breakfast skillet can’t be as good without eggs, give this one a try and it will change your mind.


8)
Basic Biscuits, Kindness and Coffee Sausage and Cheese Slider and Sausage and Gravy Biscuits - Biscuits have been a bit of a craze around Columbus this year, with Boxwood Biscuit Company having a pop-up at LawBird Bar, Kolache Republic and Preston’s Burgers adding biscuits to their options, and Fox in the Snow releasing their biscuit recipe for all.  Basic Biscuits does not use an egg wash on their biscuits and we enjoyed our first biscuit breakfasts and fully intend to go back.  If you go, go early if you can because they do sell out.


9)
Comune Fried Mushroom Sandwich and Poutine - There are vegetarian and vegan options so if in doubt, choose vegan.  When we saw that Comune had added a brunch option a few weeks ago, we knew we had to give them a try having previously had dinner with them.  Both of these items are delicious, though I could wish for a bit more seasoning on the cornmeal crust for the mushrooms.


10) 
Happy Little Treats Pop Tarts - We have had these a number of times with all sorts of flavors and all are good.  However, nothing is better than the peanut butter and jelly version.  If you are a PB&J fan, you will love these. One thing to keep in mind is that they are crazy flaky so you will likely end up wearing some delicious crumbs on your shirt.  

I have a running list of some other breakfasts I want to try such as Chilaquiles from Spicy Cup and the Hummus and Lamb from Olive and Thyme.  Also, an honorable mention goes out to the Dough Mama Cauliflower Reuben.  The regular sauce has mayo (which has eggs) but they have a vegan option.  It was my choice one morning when my hoped-for Smoked Salmon and Avocado Toast was not on the menu.  

Finally I also want to thank Sassafras Bakery, Kolache Republic, Bibi’s Patties, Preston’s Burgers, Basic Biscuits, Kindness and Coffee, Dan the Baker, Three Bites Bakery, Fetty’s Street Food, Sammy’s New York Bagels, The Lox Bagel Shop, Ajumama Food Truck, Columbus Food Adventures, Johnson’s Real Ice Cream, and anyone else that I’ve forgotten for patiently answering my questions about which (if any) of their food items I can have without trouble whether for breakfast or any other meal. 

Ajumama and Fetty’s in particular made some adjustments upon request and Bibi’s Patties (which I have not yet ordered but will soon) has said they can skip the egg wash.  While I do not have the serious reactions that others with food allergies do, I do appreciate the extra effort it takes to make a special order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment